BA Tuition and Aid


The Board of Regents of the University of Michigan establishes tuition for the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy. Tuition is established annually, generally in the summer prior to the beginning of the academic year. In addition to tuition, the University annually establishes several nominal fees charged on a semester basis. Click here to find out about tuition costs for the current academic year.

Residency Requirements

The University of Michigan establishes residency policies. The criteria for establishing residency are quite complex and students should direct questions to the University’s Residency Classification Office, which is part of the Office of the Registrar.

Financial Aid

Students seeking financial assistance as they pursue BA studies at the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy should explore two primary funding sources at the University of Michigan: the Ford School and the U-M Office of Financial Aid.

The Ford School of Public Policy Student Support

The Ford School offers financial assistance to our undergraduate students through several programs.


Ford School scholarship funds are intended to supplement other University-level sources (distributed through the Office of Financial Aid) and are awarded after a student is admitted to the program. Ford School scholarships are merit-based and need-informed, which means that scholarships are awarded primarily based on merit with some consideration given to financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid.

Funds for internships, travel and other educational activities

In recognition of the importance of active learning in a BA student's public policy education, the Ford School offers financial assistance for a variety of educational activities. Through the generosity of donors and alumni, all current Ford School students are eligible to apply for funding to help defray the costs of unpaid policy-related domestic or international internships, service-abroad trips, or other valuable educational activities such as academic conferences. We also provide some support for Ford School BA students who choose to spend a semester working and studying in Washington DC through the Michigan in Washington Program.

For more information on these programs, contact Amy Flanagan ( in Student and Academic Services.

U-M Office of Financial Aid

The University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid administers all federal student assistance programs including federal and private loans, grants, and work-study eligibility. In addition, this office administers a number of special awards (e.g. for students who majored in specific fields or who come from a particular geographic area) and students are encouraged to contact the office about these possibilities. The programs administered by the Office of Financial Aid require specific applications.

You may contact the office by phone at (734) 763-6000 or by mail at:

Office of Financial Aid
University of Michigan
2011 Student Activities Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316

Employment Opportunities

Part-Time Work

Many Ford School students seek employment opportunities that use the skills they are developing while in school. There are a number of research and work-study positions available on campus. In the past students have worked at the Institute for Social Research, the Institute of Science and Technology, the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Transplant Policy Center, the Great Lakes Trade Adjustment Center, and the University's Office of Government Relations.

In addition to working on campus, students are encouraged to consider the possibility of off-campus employment in policy-related positions. In recent years students have worked for the City of Ann Arbor, the Michigan Municipal League, Washtenaw County, the Ann Arbor Art Center, the Washtenaw Development Council, and the Non-Profit Enterprises at Work (NEW) Center.