David Bohnett Foundation Leadership and Public Service Fellowship
City of Detroit Mayor's Office
Admitted MPP students: the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy is pleased to offer the David Bohnett Foundation Leadership and Public Service Fellowship, a prestigious, competitive fellowship that will provide two years of tuition support and a paid summer internship in the City of Detroit's mayor's office.
David Bohnett Leadership and Public Service Fellows will apply the academic training they receive at the Ford School to benefit the people and government of Detroit, Michigan. Fellows will receive two years of in-state tuition support at the Ford School and will intern at the highest level of the City of Detroit mayor's office, working directly with a Group Executive on the mayor's policy priorities.
- 100% in-state tuition (or the monetary equivalent for an out-of-state student) for two years** and a $6,000 summer internship stipend.
- Commitment to complete the Ford School internship requirement with the Detroit Mayor's Office between the 1st and 2nd year of the MPP program.
- Available to full time, incoming, MPP students. (Dual-degree students must be admitted for the fall semester 2013 and starting at the Ford School during the fall semester 2013.)
- Students must complete the internship requirement—10 weeks of full time (40 hours/week) work—during the summer between the first and second year of the MPP program. Prior to completing the internship, students must be full-time MPP students in the Ford School for two semesters. Students must also return for at least one semester of Ford School coursework after the internship.
- Preference will be given to those with demonstrated knowledge of and experience in the city of Detroit, MI.
- Students should be skilled in both written and verbal communication.
- Previous experience in local government and/or social activism is also desirable.
**The following circumstances may affect the fellowship award:
- Less than full-time enrollment in a semester
- Enrollment in a dual degree program
- Receipt of additional funding
- Academic probation/suspension
About the Bohnett Foundation Fellowship
David Bohnett is a University of Michigan alumnus (MBA '80). The foundation that bears his name is committed to improving society through social activism. In 2010, the Ford School joined NYU and UCLA as hosts of the David Bohnett Foundation Leadership and Public Service Program. "We are excited about our partnership with the Ford School, to help provide much needed human capital to address our urban challenges," said Bohnett, announcing the fellowship. "The students who participate in these programs have the opportunity to improve local communities and learn from significant assignments in the public sector."