Soundbites, overheard @ Ford School events from spring 2016 State & Hill magazine
Monday, May 2, 2016
Policy Talks @ the Ford School
“The United States is in a cyber-war. Most Americans don’t know it, and we’re not winning....We are losing this fight because we can’t get over this privacy versus security hangover.”
- Mike Rogers, former U.S. Representative (R-MI) and former chair of the House Intelligence Committee, “A conversation with former Republican Congressmen,” Nov. 10, 2015.
“[W]ithout an increase in prosperity, we’re going to face an increase in instability.”
- General George W. Casey, Jr., former chief of staff for the U.S. Army, “Weathering an era of persistent conflict,” Mar. 14, 2016.
“Our current social safety net has become a business subsidy...In 2014, 67 percent of the [households] who used the social safety net had at least one person working full time.”
- Sister Simone Campbell, executive director of NETWORK, “Pope Francis’ challenge to policy makers: Mend the gaps,” Mar. 9, 2016.
“We see 50,000 new HIV infections in this country a year. Somebody is not using condoms. So to have a tool that people can use if they’re not going to use condoms is remarkable.”
- Douglas M. Brooks, director of the Office of National AIDS Policy, “Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and HIV prevention in the LGBTQ community,” Nov. 12, 2015.
“Our challenges are too deep, and the players too diverse, for us to depend solely on traditional military and diplomatic tools. In the modern world, commerce must be part of our foreign policy toolkit.”
“We applaud innovation, but it can never be an excuse to compromise core labor standards or to leave people behind.”
- Thomas E. Perez, U.S. Secretary of Labor, “Playing the long game: Creating shared prosperity through conscious capitalism,” Feb. 8, 2016.
“If there’s going to be a real change in policing, then we have to understand that America is rooted and grounded in white supremacy.”
- Rev. Damon Lynch III, leader of a class-action lawsuit against racial profiling in Cincinnati, “21st century policing: Lessons from Cincinnati,” Feb. 22, 2016.
Below is a formatted version of this article from State & Hill, the magazine of the Ford School. View the entire Spring 2016 State & Hill here.