The University of Michigan provides Lifetime Email Forwarding to all alumni. This means that you can sign up for a "@umich.edu" email address, redirect it to your current email address, and enjoy Lifetime Email Forwarding at no cost to you!
Email forwarding is a wonderful communication tool that will enable you to stay in touch with Ford School classmates, even during career changes and changes in Internet providers. This service also offers a clear association with the University of Michigan.
To set up a Lifetime Email account, please click one of the links below:
+ I have a uniqname.
(If you have a uniqname, but can't remember the password associated with it, call the ITCS Accounts Office at (734) 764-8000.)
If you already have a uniqname you can sign up for Lifetime Email Forwarding service at http://directory.umich.edu. You will be able to maintain the service by responding in the affirmative to an e-mail you will receive each year. It is your responsibility to keep your e-mail forwarding address current in the online directory.
Instructions for Setting Up Your "@umich.edu" Email Address
1. Connect to the U-M Online Directory (http://directory.umich.edu).
2. Click the Bind button (Before you can make changes to your entry you must "bind" to the directory as yourself).
3. At the login screen, enter your uniqname and U-M (Kerberos) password, then click Log in.
4. Your uniqname will now be displayed in the upper right corner of the window under the Help button. Click your uniqname to display your directory entry.
5. Click the Modify button in the upper right corner of the screen.
6. Enter/Change the address in the E-Mail Forwarding Address field to the address where you want your e-mail forwarded (i.e. a "yahoo.com" or "hotmail.com" address). Please specify only 1 forwarding email address.
7. Click the Save Changes button. NOTE: After saving changes, you will be returned to your personal profile and you should see the message "Your changes have been saved" at the top of your screen. If you do not see this message, repeat steps 5-7.
8. Click the Unbind button.
9. Click the logout link (in the lower right corner of the window).
10. Close your web browser. If you do not close your browser, you will be redirected back to the Online Directory. NOTE - Changes to Lifetime Email Forwarding in the U-M Online Directory are typically taking at least 2 hours to complete, but may take up to 24 hours.
+ I do not have a uniqname.
If you are an alum who left the University prior to receiving a uniqname, or you forget your uniqname, you will need to create one before you can begin using the Lifetime Email Forwarding service:
If you have never been issued a U-M uniqname and Kerberos password, follow the instructions below:
1. Go to https://weblogin.umich.edu
2. Under the heading, "Need a login name?" (bottom of page) click "Alumni."
3. You will be taken to a "Conditions of Use" page. Choose "Accept & Continue."
4. You will then be taken to an eligibility screen. Fill out the required data, including either your UMID, your Alumni ID (begins with three 0s), or the last four digits of your social security number.
NOTE : When asked for your name, please use the name shown on all official University of Michigan correspondence.
5. Click "Check Eligibility."
6. If you had previously created a uniqname, your uniqname will appear on the next screen. a. If you remember the password associated with your uniqname, you can return to https://weblogin.umich.edu external link and sign in. b. If you can't remember the password associated with your uniqname, you will need to contact the ITCS Accounts Office at (734) 764-8000 or email@example.com NOTE: At this point, for your security, you may be asked to fax proof of identification to the ITCS Accounts Office (e.g. driver's license).
7. If you are eligible for a uniqname and did not previously create one, you will be provided with several uniqnames to choose from (based on the email address you submitted on the eligibility screen).
8. Select a uniqname from the list.
NOTE: You also have the option to create a uniqname. If you choose this option, you will be asked to create a uniqname from 6 to 8 characters. Be aware that many uniqnames have already been taken, so uniqnames such as "firstname.lastname@example.org" or "email@example.com" are probably not available.
9. You will then be directed to a page with two options below, check your preferences:
a. Sign Up for Lifetime Email Forwarding
b. Receive University of Michigan Email Messages
NOTE: If you chose to sign up for Lifetime Email Forwarding, you will then be asked to enter the email address to which you would like your "@umich.edu" email address forwarded. You can choose a different email address than that which you originally indicated on the eligibility screen.
10. After checking your preferences, you will be prompted to select a password to accompany your new uniqname. This will be known as your Kerberos password.
11. After selecting a password, you have the option to store a hint in the Online Directory in case you forget your password. The hint should be something that will help you remember your password. You will then have the option to select a challenge and response, which will prompt your hint if you forget your password.
EXAMPLE: Challenge - "Where do I live?" Response - "Ann Arbor " prompts Password Hint - "My dog's name." From this you can remember that your password is "Sparky." Response & password are case-sensitive.
12. After completing these steps, you will have created your new U-M uniqname and Kerberos password and will be directed to a University of Michigan Services page. 13. If you have any questions about uniqnames and passwords, or are having trouble getting a uniqname and password, contact ITCS at (734) 764-8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.