Nick Pfost (he/they) is the marketing and communications specialist at the Ford School. An MPP-trained communicator, they manage the school's brand and advise on and execute its marketing initiatives by planning, designing, and producing accessible, persuasive, and high-quality strategic materials.
Nick's portfolio includes a range of print and web projects for recruitment and admissions, State & Hill magazine (art lead), social media creative, annual career development programs, local and national ad campaigns, and more. They were the creative lead for the school's 2020 website redesign and designed its reimagined e-newsletters, The Briefing and News from the Ford School. In addition to these responsibilities, Nick also provides consultation and direct service to the school's nine research centers and initiatives, including the creative suite for a major 2020 report from the Science, Technology, and Public Policy program.
Previously, Nick was a manager for Meijer at two of the company's highest-profit locations. An Eagle Scout (with two Eagle Palms), they currently volunteer their time outside the Ford School as the first director of marketing and communications for the Midwest Institute for Sexuality and Gender Diversity, a regional LGBTQ nonprofit.
Nick is an alum of the Ford School (MPP '15) and holds a dual Bachelor of Arts degree in social relations & policy and international relations from James Madison College at Michigan State University.
- MPP, University of Michigan
- BA in social relations & policy and international relations, Michigan State University
As creative or art lead
- State & Hill, spring 2018-present
- Recruitment materials suite, 2018-present
- Ford School website, 2020
- Ford School Facts & Figures (booklet), 2022-23
- What’s in the chatterbox? Large language models, why they matter, and what we should do about them, University of Michigan Science, Technology, and Public Policy program (report PDF), 2022.
- In communities we trust: Institutional failures and sustained solutions for vaccine hesitancy, University of Michigan Science, Technology, and Public Policy program (report PDF), 2021.
- Faculty announcement suites (recently: Morela Hernandez's arrival, Robert Hampshire tapped for Biden administration)
- Master's recruitment social media and webinar promotional suites, 2020
- The Briefing and News from the Ford School (newsletters), 2020 redesign
- Cameras in the classroom: Facial recognition technology in schools, University of Michigan Science, Technology, and Public Policy program (report PDF), 2020.
- Ford School Reunion suite (program), 2019
- Lecture with Secretary Penny Pritzker (program), 2016