Undergraduate tuition and financial aid


Tuition and fees are established at the university level, and the tuition for Ford School bachelor's students is the same as the tuition charged for all upper-level undergraduate students in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts. For up-to-date tuition costs, which vary annually, visit the Office of the Registrar. To determine whether or not you are eligible for in-state tuition, review the University of Michigan's residency qualification guidelines.

Financial assistance

Students seeking financial assistance as they pursue a bachelor's degree in public policy should explore funding sources available through the Ford School, as well as funding sources available through the University of Michigan's Office of Financial Aid.

Ford School funding

Each year, the Ford School offers a limited number of scholarships and internship stipends.

Ford School scholarship funds are intended to supplement other University-level sources (distributed through the Office of Financial Aid) and are awarded after a student is admitted to the program. These scholarships are need-informed, with consideration given to financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid.

Ford School faculty and staff recognize the vital importance of educational activities outside of the classroom, including internships. Donors and alumni have generously contributed funds to support Ford School undergraduate students’ participation in policy-related unpaid internships located in the U.S. and abroad. The funds are meant to help cover living expenses, and are not a replacement for salary.

Go Blue Guarantee animated banner

University of Michigan funding

The University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid administers all federal student assistance programs including federal and private loans, grants, and work-study programs. In addition, this office administers a number of special awards (e.g. for students who majored in specific fields or who come from a particular geographic area) and students are encouraged to contact the office about these possibilities. The programs administered by the Office of Financial Aid require specific applications, and you may contact the office by phone at 734-763-6000 or by email at [email protected].

Part-time work

Many Ford School students seek employment opportunities that use the skills they are developing while in school. There are a number of research and work-study positions available on campus. In the past, undergraduate students have worked with the Ford School's Office of Communications and Outreach, and at a number of outside offices including the Institute for Social Research, the Institute of Science and Technology, the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Transplant Policy Center, the Great Lakes Trade Adjustment Center, and the University's Office of Government Relations, to name just a few.

In addition to working on campus, students are encouraged to consider the possibility of off-campus employment in policy-related positions. In recent years students have worked for such organizations as the City of Ann Arbor, the Michigan Municipal League, Washtenaw County, the Ann Arbor Art Center, the Washtenaw Development Council, and the Non-Profit Enterprises at Work (NEW) Center.

More information

For prospective students, please use this calendar to schedule appointments.