U-M provost appoints advisory committee to lead the Ford School's dean search
Provost Martha E. Pollack has appointed an advisory committee to search for a new dean of the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy. The search process will begin in early October.
Elisabeth Gerber, associate dean for research and policy engagement, Jack L. Walker, Jr. Collegiate Professor of Public Policy and professor of public policy, Ford School; professor of political science (by courtesy), LSA; and faculty associate, Center for Political Studies, Institute for Social Research, is chairing the committee charged with conducting a broad search and presenting an unranked slate of recommended candidates to the provost.
In an email to faculty and staff at the school, Pollack wrote that Dean Susan Collins will step down June 30, 2017, after 10 years of service.
Additional members of the search committee include:
- Afton Branche, Master of Public Policy student and graduate student instructor, Ford School.
- Elizabeth Cole, associate dean for social sciences, professor of women's studies, professor of Afroamerican and African studies and professor of psychology, LSA.
- Paul Courant, Presidential Bicentennial Professor, Harold T. Shapiro Collegiate Professor of Public Policy, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor and professor of public policy, Ford School; professor of economics, LSA; and professor of information, School of Information.
- James House, Angus Campbell Distinguished University Professor Emeritus of Survey Research, Public Policy and Sociology; research scientist emeritus, School of Public Health; research professor emeritus, Survey Research Center, ISR; professor emeritus of sociology, LSA; and professor emeritus of public policy, Ford School.
- John Leahy, Allen Sinai Professor of Macroeconomics, professor of economics, LSA; and professor of public policy, Ford School.
- Jennifer Niggemeier, director of Graduate Career Services & Alumni Relations, Ford School.
- Barry Rabe, J. Ira and Nicki Harris Family Professor of Public Policy, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor and professor of public policy, Ford School; professor of environmental policy, SNRE; professor of Program in the Environment and political science, LSA.
- Betsey Stevenson, associate professor of public policy, Ford School; and associate professor of economics, LSA.
- Simon Tam, alumnus, Ford School.
- Dean Yang, professor of public policy, Ford School; professor of economics, LSA; research professor, Population Studies Center, ISR.
In her July email, Provost Pollack praised Collins' leadership style as "deeply collaborative and inclusive." She led the school through "a tremendous period of growth in visibility and standing," Pollack wrote. "Dean Collins has worked to enhance the scale and impact of the faculty's engagement with critical real-world policy challenges."
--Story by Jill A. Greenberg for The University Record