The Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy at the University of MichiganThe Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy at the University of Michigan

Dual degree programs

The University of Michigan is home to numerous highly ranked professional schools and international area studies centers. The University is also recognized as a leader in cross-disciplinary research and teaching. The Ford School has developed dual-degrees with many other degree programs, enabling students to complete work on two degrees simultaneously, in less time than it would take to pursue each degree separately.

Dual degrees

About 30 percent of Ford School master’s students pursue dual-degrees while on campus, including business, law, public health, and regional studies, as well as dozens of other dual-degrees with social work, urban planning, natural resources and environment, and more.

Not sure whether a dual degree is in your future? No need to decide before coming to Michigan; our students can apply to other schools after enrollment at the Ford School. The application process is straightforward and our academic advisors are here to help.

Dual degree programs

The majority of the dual-degree programs listed below will take approximately three years to complete, with the exception of the Medicine and Public Policy program (which will take five years) and the Law and Public Policy program (which will take four years). The degree requirements vary by program. The typical sequence of study is to spend one year taking courses in one program, the second year in the other program, and the third year splitting courses between both programs. 

See the requirements for each program.

Certificate programs

The U-M hosts a wide variety of non-degree certificate programs that allow students to specialize in an area of interest without pursuing a full dual-degree. Ford School students may be interested in certificates in regional studies; science, technology, and public policy (an innovative program housed at the Ford School); survey methodology, complex systems, spatial analysis, and more. Among those our students have pursued in recent years, include:

Additional information

If you are a prospective student and have questions, please request more information, email Student & Academic Services, or contact us by phone: (734) 764-0453. If you are a current student, check out the Intranet for dual-degree resources and to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor. 

Please see the Rackham Graduate School Academic Policies for additional dual/joint degree information requirements.

Business Administration and Public Policy (MPP/MBA)

Law and Public Policy (MPP/JD)

Higher Education and Public Policy (MPP/MA)

Public Health and Public Policy (MPP/MHSA or MPP/MPH)

Social Work and Public Policy (MPP/MSW)

Urban and Regional Planning and Public Policy (MPP/MUP)

Information and Public Policy (MPP/MSI)

Natural Resources and Environment and Public Policy (MPP/MS)

Applied Economics and Public Policy (MPP/MAE)

Medicine and Public Policy (MPP/MD)

Asian Studies: China and Public Policy (MPP/MA)

Asian Studies: Southeast Asia and Public Policy (MPP/MA)

Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies and Public Policy (MPP/MA)