Students apply to the program during their sophomore year and are admitted to the Ford School for their final two years. Before beginning the program, students must have junior standing at the University of Michigan–Ann Arbor, and must complete the following prerequisites*:
Principles of Economics I (Econ 101)
Principles of Economics II (Econ 102)
One course from Race and Ethnicity (RE)
One introductory social science course, such as Systematic Thinking about Problems of the Day (PUBPOL 201)
Click here to view the full list of classes that would fulfill this requirement (XLS Spreadsheet).
*Students must receive a C- or better in any prerequisite and core courses.
The short application form can be completed online, and is available beginning in October. The application involves a series of questions, two short essays, a resume, and a transcript, as described below:
- Essay #1: DEI essay.
- Essay #2: Background essay.
- Essay #3: Policy topic essay.
- Resume: Upload an up–to–date resume, with extracurricular activities, past work experiences, internships, student leadership positions, volunteer work, etc.
- Transcript: An unofficial copy of your University of Michigan transcript is required.**
* Most applicants to the undergraduate program complete all prerequisites in advance of their application; however, there is some flexibility. Please feel free to contact us to discuss.
** Additional transcripts are required for any college-level coursework completed outside the University of Michigan.
Minor in public policy
The minor has a competitive application process open from April 1 – May 15, and consists of an online form, resume, transcript, and two short essays (300 words each). The school expects to enroll around 25 students each year.
Students in LSA, the College of Engineering, the Ross School of Business, the School of Information, and the School of Public Health—and have sophomore or junior status at the time of application—are eligible to apply, including students who applied for the Ford School’s BA in public policy but were not admitted. All applicants will be notified of the minor admission decision by mid-June. Start your application now.