Due to the novel coronavirus, in-person commencement celebrations have been postponed across all three University of Michigan campuses. This postponement includes the Ford School commencement ceremony, originally planned for May 2nd. We promise to find a way to invite our classes of 2020 back to Ann Arbor for a communal celebration and are looking for dates in May 2021.
While we cannot be physically together this week, and we know there is no substitute for Commencement, we’ve planned a full slate of online programming to celebrate our graduates.
Graduates, we hope you and your friends and family will join us virtually to celebrate your success. Check in on social media and join us live to hear from faculty, staff, alumni, and a few distinguished friends of the Ford School and to share your celebrations, thank-yous, and support for your classmates.
You persevered in the height of a pandemic to complete your Ford School degree. Dance, toast, celebrate your accomplishments! You deserve it.
Join the Celebration on May 2
Connect with us on social media
Congratulations Class of 2020!
Watch Ford School faculty and staff, U-M and national leaders... and at least one woman from Michigan...celebrate the Class of 2020. View the full set of videos congratulating our #fordschool20 graduates.
Share your excitement
We’ve created custom designs to help you share your excitement on social media. Choose your favorite… or download them all and use #fordschool20 in your post!
Share your photos and videos: Interact with us throughout the day!
Graduates, friends, and family members: post a photo or video on social media following the hourly themes below. Tag us @fordschool and use #fordschool20 to be featured!
- 9 AM - 12 PM: Wear your Ford School spirit!
- Take a photo wearing your favorite Ford School shirt, long sleeve, or hoodie and tag @fordschool and #fordschool20 to be featured! Bonus points if you can get as much maize and blue in your outfit as possible.
- 12 PM - 3 PM: Calling all public paw-licy pets!
- Have a pet that’s celebrating with you today? Post a photo of your public paw-licy pal and tag @fordschool and #fordschool20 to be featured!
- 3 PM - 6 PM: Thank you and Go Blue!
- Post a shoutout to a graduate, mentor, friend, or family member that has helped you or your graduate through the Ford School. Tag them, @fordschool, and #fordschool20 to be featured.
Celebrate with us LIVE
At 4:00 pm EDT on May 2, we premiered celebratory messages from Dean Barr, elected faculty speaker professor John Ciorciari, and elected student speakers Ashton Smith (BA ‘20) and Aloka Narayanan (MPP ‘20), followed by a live reading of the names of our 2020 graduates by Ford School professor Megan Tompkins-Stange.
Sign the Ford School’s commemorative 2020 yearbook
We’re working on a yearbook filled with important memories from our community, with a special focus on the classes of 2020, to be released digitally by mid-July!
We hope to welcome all our 2020 graduates back to campus for an in-person commencement ceremony. We're tentatively exploring dates in early to mid-May 2021, when we know that the University, too, is hoping to celebrate. We will share more information when we know more.
You are always part of our family, and as new alumni, we know you’ll remain connected with the Ford School community! We look forward to welcoming you back to campus and Weill Hall as soon as it is safe to do so.
Here are some ways to stay connected to the Ford School community:
- Keep your contact information up-to-date. Having your most recent contact information means you won’t miss out on Ford School news, events, and updates.
- Become an Alumni Admissions Ambassador and help recruit the next class of the leaders and best. Alumni Admissions Ambassadors attend recruitment fairs, make phone calls to admitted students, and share Ford School recruitment materials.
- Attend Worldwide Ford School Spirit Day on July 9, 2020. Socialize, network, and catch-up with Ford School friends at a VIRTUAL gathering this year. Stay tuned for more details!
And don't forget, as a new grad, the U-M Alumni Association also welcomes you to a family of 600,000+ fellow Wolverines. Check out their website for information on accessing alumni community career resources and networking opportunities.
Forever, and always, Go Blue!