SpeakerMike Duggan, Paul Helmke, Lori Lightfoot, Aftab Pureval, Bruce Teague
Date & Time
LocationThis is a Virtual Event.
The tumult of the first years of this decade – a global pandemic, an unprecedented presidential election, movements for social and racial justice, impacts of climate change, pressures on urban infrastructure – has played out in our nation’s cities and thrust the challenges and opportunities for mayors and their leadership into the spotlight. This special virtual event brings together mayors from cities across the states of the Big Ten in a discussion about how leadership at the city level shapes our national approaches to some of the most pressing issues of the day.
- Jonathan Massey, Dean, Taubman College of Architecture & Urban Planning, University of Michigan
- Christopher Taylor, Mayor of Ann Arbor, MI
- Mike Duggan, Mayor of Detroit, MI
- Lori Lightfoot, Mayor of Chicago, IL
- Aftab Pureval, Mayor of Cincinnati, OH
Bruce Teague, Mayor of Iowa City, IA
Moderated by Paul Helmke, Director, Civic Leaders Center, Paul H. O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University and former Mayor of Fort Wayne, IN.
Live watch party
This virtual event will have a live watch party for the University of Michigan community in the Art & Architecture Building (2000 Bonisteel Blvd., Ann Arbor), Classroom 1360. Portions of the event will be filmed and live streamed from the watch party. All are welcome to attend.
- Big Ten Collaboration: Democracy in the 21st Century
- Center for Local, State, and Urban Policy, University of Michigan
- Democracy & Debate 2022-’23, University of Michigan
- Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, University of Michigan
- Taubman College of Architecture & Urban Planning, University of Michigan