Panel Presentation: The Role of Urban Food Retail in Detroit's Economic Development and Revitalization
Date & Time
Oct 21, 2009, 4:00-5:30 pm EDT
This panel discussion will present a number of different approaches to urban food retail in the city of Detroit, including: a program that touches on the conventional grocery industry; a program to develop grocery sector entrepreneurs; a new model for community grocery stores; and alternative formats/vehicles for urban residents to get fresh food.
Larissa Larsen, Assistant Professor of Urban Planning, the University of Michigan.
- Fresh Food Access Initiative - Olga Savic Stella, Vice President of Business Development at the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation, will discuss the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation's program to help expand and improve the conventional grocery sector in the city.
- Detroit Grocery Project - Margaret Garry, Director of Special Projects at the Michigan Department of Human Services will discuss the Michigan Department of Human Services' project to support the development of a diverse community of new grocery entrepreneurs that serve Detroit neighborhoods.
- Detroit Community Grocery Store Coalition - Brad Wilson, Community Development Director of United Food and Commercial Workers Statewide Community Development will discuss the community led initiative designed to create a community-based store in Detroit, with the hope of creating multiple stores over time. The Detroit Community Grocery Store Coalition is a group of churches, community organizations and individuals working to create community-based grocery stores in underserved Detroit neighborhoods.
- Green Ribbon Collaborative and MI Food Movers - Randall Fogelman, Vice President of Business Development for Eastern Market Corporation will discuss two important initiatives:
- Green Ribbon Collaborative - a coalition of several food security/urban agricultural groups working together on alternative food retail programs (food boxes, mobile food trucks, farmers markets, cornerstore displays, etc);
- MI Food Movers - a small program supported by the State of Michigan to support mobile food trucks.