SpeakerChristina Weiland, Laura Bornfreund, Aja Chaudry, Linda Darling-Hammond, Rosa DeLauro, Hana Melnick
Date & time
LocationThis is a Virtual Event.
Between historic bipartisan investments to stabilize and expand access to child care in 2020 and new proposals from Congress and the Biden Administration, the nation is poised to significantly increase access to quality early childhood education (ECE). These investments are acutely needed to ensure that all children—particularly children from families with low incomes—have access to high-quality ECE; working and middle class families have access to affordable care; and early educators are supported and adequately compensated.
As Congress and the Administration consider their next major investments in ECE, however, they need a vision for a new and better system. How do we ensure that our many early childhood programs—including child care subsidies, Head Start, state preschool, and special education programs—can be a system of coherent support from birth through early elementary? Experts will address this question in an upcoming webinar, “From Rescue to Rebuild: Developing a National ECE System That Works.” The webinar will focus on long-term federal policy solutions to build a comprehensive, equitable, and integrated early learning system, drawing from the work of the Learning Policy Institute and New America, as well as the authors of Cradle to Kindergarten: A New Plan to Combat Inequality. It will also address concrete actions that policymakers can take in the near term with federal stimulus funds.
- Laura Bornfreund, Director, Early and Elementary Education, New America
- Ajay Chaudry, Professor, New York University and former Deputy Assistant Secretary for Human Services Policy at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Linda Darling-Hammond, President and CEO, Learning Policy Institute
- U.S. Representative Rosa DeLauro (D-CT)
- Hanna Melnick, Senior Policy Advisor, Learning Policy Institute
- Christina Weiland, Associate Professor of Education, University of Michigan
Additional speakers to be added.
- Building a National Early Childhood Education System that Works (brief)
- Cradle to Kindergarten: A New Plan to Combat Inequality, 2nd Edition (book)
- Supporting Early Learning in America: Policies for a New Decade (report)
- Child Care in Crisis: Can Biden’s Plan Save It? (article)
- Education Policy Initiative (website)
- Michigan Education Data Center (website)